Lathom Park Chapel (1500): Major Intervention to East Window by James Powell & Sons (Whitefriars) 1898
One of the other major challenges for Lightworks this year besides the global pandemic (the start of which fell just after works commenced) was undertaking this project at Lathom Park Chapel near Ormskirk. Steeped in history (http://www.lathomparkchapel.org/page2.html), this simple but beautiful old building has stood for over 500 years and its east window by the renowned London firm previously known as Whitefriars is one of its architectural crowning glories.
Unfortunately, corroding iron saddle bars and the heaviest cement mortar we have ever come across had caused serious issues with the windows mullions, many of which had large areas of material blown out around the bar sockets. Following a detailed inspection it was decided that all five main lancet lights should be removed to allow for masonry repairs and the corroding metal-work to be replaced with new non-ferrous.
Our works in full included:
Removal of the 5 main-lights and external copper grilles, ferrous saddle bars and heavy cement rich mortar
Stonework repairs undertaken by http://www.pinnacle-stonemasonry.co.uk/
Studio based repair & conservation including:
Glass repairs (strapping, Hxtal nyl-1 edge bonding & full re-paints)
Replacement of all perimeter lead cames and copper ties
Re-cementing and cleaning
Re-installation including: Replacement of all saddle bars with non-ferrous
NHL 3.5 Hydraulic lime mortar pointing
Re-fixing of original copper grilles
Our images include various stages of the project from start to completion.