CHURCH GLASS

300th Anniversary Commission - St. Michael's, Grimsargh

Design, production, installation and protection of a new single lancet window celebrating St. Mchael’s 300th Anniversary

 

 

East Window - All Saints Church, Ripley, N. Yorks (Henry Hughes 1862)

Extensive conservation and restoration including removal, re-leading and re-installation

Blackburn Cathedral Lantern: Stained Glass Repairs

Insitu repair and re-sealing of Lantern Tower stained glass

"The Light of the World" - All Hallows, Bispham

A faithfull representation pf William Holman Hunt’s famous Victorian artwork as a memorial to a much loved parishioner

St. Alkelda's, Giggleswick, N. Yorks (Early C20th)

Repair, restoration, conservation and re-ordering of stained glasspanel found in storage

East Window: Lathom Park Chapel (James Powell & Sons 1898)

Full removal & re-installation to facilitate masonry repairs and replacement of corroded saddle bars

 

St. Matthew's, Burnley: Baptistry Window (Harry Harvey 1981)

Removal, re-sizing and re-positioning of baptistry window from rear of church to Lady Chapel

West Window: St. Leonard's, Balderstone (Lavers Barraud & Westlake 1876)

Full removal and re-installation to facilitate masonry repairs

Memorial Stained Glass Commission: All Saints, Hesketh Bank

Design, production, installation and protection of new bespoke stained glass window dedicated to a much loved Grandmother

 

CHURCH GLASS AND GLAZING

Where church glass and church windows are concerned, Lightworks are extremely proud to be able to contribute towards the wealth of heritage and history contained within these buildings. Our work in this field is broadly covered by three main specialist areas; the restoration & conservation of existing church glass, the design production and installation of new bespoke church stained glass windows, and external protection of both new and historic church glass. We have extensive knowledge, experience and expertise in all three areas. In support of this we work closely with Parish Church Councils, architects and Diocesan Advisory Committees.

The use of glass for the purpose of glazing had been widely used for centuries in the high-status buildings of the Roman and Muslim world but many of these achievements and advancements where lost following the fall of the Empire. However, records from the 6th to the 8th Century show that the Christian Church throughout Europe played a huge part in preserving many of these achievements and continued to support their use. At this time the craft of stained glass in Anglo Saxon England was believed to be wholly extinct. Again, the Christian Church played a major role in the reversal of this and can arguably be credited as being solely responsible for its revival. 

In 675, following widespread travels, Abbot Benedict Biscop imported craftsmen from the continent to glaze his newly founded church at Monkwearmouth. It is from this site that very early samples of leaded coloured glass have been excavated.

So the relationship between the church and church windows and the ancient craft of stained glass continues.

Lightworks offer a full range of service to the church including:

  • Small & remedial on-site repair works including insitu repairs
  • Full studio based restoration and conservation services including re-leading, edge bonding, re-painting & kiln firing and pigment re-consolidation
  • External protection systems (polycarbonate & steel grilles)
  • Condition & conservation assessments & reports
  • Specialist cleaning